
Wednesday afternoon about 3:00, Caleb was promoted from the NICU to "Special Care". It's a wing of a building up here that is dedicated to infants like Caleb who can move out of the NICU but aren't ready for the regular nursery.
Here Caleb has his own room, with a couch that makes into a single bed and a recliner for mom and dad to stay over. We've got a fridge and a bathroom, so we've moved in and are learning how to cook with only a microwave and clean and dry clothes in the bathroom. Actually there is a laundromat around here somewhere, but we haven't found it yet.
This is Rick changing Caleb's diaper in the incubator in our room: (we have since learned how to raise the incubator so that Rick doesn't have to bend down so far!)
Caleb is breast feeding well for all meals and is breathing on his own. His two main problems right now are his temperature regulation and his tendency to stop breathing. I know, it sounds scary, and it is. Until today, every time he stopped breathing and his heart rate dropped, and multiple nurses rushed in to "stimulate" him to breathe again (rubbing his back or sitting him up or whatever), I just collapsed on the couch in tears. It's a scary thing to watch, and it's even more scary to wonder if he will do it at home once he's not being monitored 24 hours a day. I wish I could stand over him and watch him all day and night, but I know that's not possible. Today I'm handling it a little better. After all, Rick shouldn't have to take care of two crying family members at once! :) I know that Caleb's life is in the Lord's hands, not mine, and as soon as I can really sink my faith into that, I know there will be less tears and more focus on the joy in having him here.
The nurses say that both of these problems are very common for preemies. He's still only 36 weeks old technically (gestational age), so his little brain doesn't know how to regulate his temperature and it sometimes forgets to tell him to breathe. Whenever he stops breathing and his heart rate plummets, it's called a "Brady". (Don't know why). He had one yesterday, and actually had another today but pulled himself out of it, so they don't count that one. Each time he "Brady"s, we know that he can't leave for another 5 days. They say that 5 days without one tells them that he is past that issue, developmentally. I guess after that he is at the same risk as any baby for SIDS, but isn't expected to have those spells at home. We will spend a LOT of time praying over that one!
Here are some more current pictures of the little guy, minus tubes! He is a cutie. We are getting as much sleep as possible, which isn't really much, and we are learning how to care for a baby. This time has really been helpful, as preemies have to be fed differently, held differently, etc - and we are both unfamiliar with all of that. At least we were, but we're learning!
This is his "Don't bother me, I'm pooping" face! Usually followed by a nice little grunt!

As Rick says, he's doing the "baby waltz" - eat, sleep, poop. Eat, sleep, poop.

As Rick says, he's doing the "baby waltz" - eat, sleep, poop. Eat, sleep, poop.
More daddy time. Since mom gets quality time every 3 hours, like it or not (and I love it!), we have to find time in between naps and feedings to hang with dad! He's already had the "we love sports" talk ... wonder what will be the next topic of discussion!







3 comments:
Caleb is the most adorable baby ever! He is so cute. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Love y'all.
Hayley
Niki! He looks AMAZING!!! You guys are already such amazing parents. It's so sweet that you both just moved in with him. :)
I mean, he is too cute for words!!!! love him! I love his facial expressions. Do you think he has been dreaming about me? You need to hurry up and bring him home so that I can see him face to face. I think he misses me!
Post a Comment