Friday, October 24, 2008

The Joys of Motherhood - Including Breastfeeding

Okay, if you're a guy (or a girl I suppose) and you're uncomfortable with the subject of breastfeeding, then just stop reading here. It seems that once you become a parent, this subject is no longer "taboo" - it's just completely natural to talk about it!







Granted, breastfeeding is pretty amazing. The way God designed it so that we would have a healthy, free, ever-ready supply of food for our kids is incredible. And the way everything works - like hearing your baby cry actually causes milk to start flowing, and things like that ... totally amazing and obviously carefully put together by a creative God. Too cool.







But ... we have this issue. I apparently have an over-abundant supply of milk. Caleb apparently has an over-abundant ability to suck. Most people say - how lucky! The problem is that this combo results in CHOKING. Yes, he chokes in the middle of feeding. It is horrifying. Everyone at the hospital keeps telling me he'll get the hang of it soon, and not to be discouraged, and just flip him over and pat his back and he'll be okay. But seriously, it is so hard to want to feed him when I'm just waiting to see him start sucking for air - it's scary! Really! Just pass me a bottle and lets do it the safe way!







Sigh, hopefully soon, we'll be able to eat without scaring mom. Then we'll move on to something else that scares mom, I'm sure.






Let's see what pictures I can dig up that I haven't posted yet ...






This is Caleb, while he's supposed to be eating.






This is Caleb, while he's supposed to be holding still for pictures.






More daddy time - horizontal style.










This is Mom, tickling Caleb's toes to wake him up (because it has been 4 hours and he HAS to eat). He's NOT happy!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the clip! You young people and technology make me feel old, but so close! That was great; thanks for sharing!
Donna

Jill said...

Isn't it so hard to wake them up when they are sleeping?! I just hate doing it. I would want someone to wake me up every 3 hours to eat.

Hayley said...

He is just so cute! I'm sure it's hard to wake him up, but he has to eat. Love y'all,
Aunt Hayley

Amy B. said...

Interesting to hear the NBFMP (the new breastfeeding mom perspective). Now hear the AA2P (the adopt them at 2 perspective). If you get them when they are 2 and you're lucky (as I was), they come eating whole foods with forks and spoons (or maybe even chopsticks), potty-trained, and sleeping through the night. Seriously the way to go.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers