DISCLAIMER: I am potentially more dramatic than necessary these days, but I swear the drama feels very real to me, even if it's exaggerated by pregnancy!
So, yesterday, as I was driving to work, it happened ... that moment when you realize that you have not seen something VERY important ever since you moved ... followed by the panic of not being able to remember where it is, and then the clutch in your stomach as you think about losing it forever. So, I turned around to head home and tear through the apartment to find it. I couldn't stand that feeling all day.
So I blew through the place, looking for the bracelet that Rick gave me for Christmas last year. It's a gold bracelet with beautiful opals in it, and I knew I had packed it in a very special place, although I couldn't remember where that place was, and I knew I hadn't seen it since the move. I was absolutely a wreck. After 30 minutes of unfruitful searching, and beating myself up for not packing it in the 300 perfectly safe places that I could think of now, Rick gently encouraged me that I needed to go to work, and we would find it later. I sobbed, of course, and then thought about it ALL DAY LONG.
So, clearly, the only reasonable option at this point was to go immediately after work to storage, have Rick remove every piece of furniture and every box that he had so delicately puzzle-pieced to fit into storage, and open & unpack every box until we found the bracelet. Clearly, that was the only option.
So after work, we went to storage. Side note - we went to dinner at Freebirds on the way. Freebirds food is almost all very low fat! Who would have guessed?? I had been craving Freebirds, and I think Rick was feeling sorry for me because I was an emotional disaster over the bracelet, so I got a burrito with refried beans! (also low fat, amazing) I'm having the leftovers for lunch. YUM! Anyway ...
I wish I could describe what it was like for Rick, by himself since I can't lift anything, to unpack our entire storage unit last night. Probably, it's better if I don't describe it ... because then I look even more unreasonable than I really am. :) But, in the very last box, after I was already sobbing because it wasn't there, WE FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! This rush of relief and more tears (of happiness) just flooded out of me. You know what I mean? Is this just me? When you find that thing you just knew was lost forever and you're overjoyed? It's silly to feel that way about a bracelet maybe, but Rick picked it out all by himself, especially for me, and he went to a LOT of trouble to do it, and I've just got great sentimental memories tied to it. I am still so relieved today not to have lost it. Next time, I will NOT pack it in a box, no matter how safe I think it is.
Back to my burrito leftovers!
Friday, August 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I am so glad that you found it! It's sad when you think that something was lost in a move and even more so when it is something that is special to you.
Babee...I'm so glad you found it. I started to get nervous for you. I thought you were going to say that after all that searching, you were WEARING it! But No, you really lost it!! ugh....thankfully God had mercy on your packing skillz.
Niki!!! I was so stressed out just reading this! I am SO glad you found it! Yay you! And I'm glad Rick sent you to work, and stopped you from your fruitless search at home. You poor thing. What a mess.
Post a Comment