Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Worms, Bees, and a Birthday Party

Why is it that just when you get rid of mice and think you're pest free ... then you're inundated with worms?




Gross. I realize they are just trying to keep from drowning, as Rick says, out in our yard. But I wish they'd go keep their wormy selves dry somewhere other than my front walk and garage.




We are so busy! Once upon a time I think I said "My family will never be so busy that we are running around like crazy people ..." and so once again, I eat my pre-Caleb words. Caleb and I did get to go to Midland last week (Thurs - Sat) to see my family and the air show! Now ... last time we went to see the airshow, we came within 10 yards of being run over by a crashing plane - no joke. Sparks flying and everything. So when Dad called and asked if we wanted to go see the air show, I said NO THANK YOU. But this time we were actually INSIDE the fence and right up next to the planes. (As in watching them go by, not as in watching them come at us in flames.) It was awesome!!!


Caleb said "pane!" "pane!" "pane!" each time a plane flew by, like he was shocked that he just saw a plane ... even after the past 50 planes he had seen in the same spot. He was also fascinated by the ear plugs. After all, ear plugs are as weird as planes to a one year old when you think about it!




And speaking of being one, a few weeks ago Caleb and I got to go to a NICU / Special Care reunion at Presby in Dallas. It was wonderful to see all of the nurses and doctors that took such good care of Caleb while we were in the hospital! It's a great event - they have it every year, and I think we'll definitely go for a few more years. It's also really neat to see all the healthy kiddos running around that were born at 24 weeks and such! I can't say enough great things about Presby. I really don't know what we would have done without them! We went up to visit a friend who was on bed rest (no, I didn't take Caleb in the room!), and it was crazy to be walking around the halls where, one year ago, I was trying to recover from having Caleb! Crazy!!




On the way to the NICU reunion, we stopped by a Ft. Worth hotel, and I auditioned for a game show. Ha!









I LOVE to watch the Singing Bee! Basically, the contestants have to sing the lyrics of songs that the band plays. But you have to sing it just right, no "and" where you're supposed to have a "the" or whatever - it's tough!! It's mostly country music, but they throw in other stuff, too. The contestants are usually HORRIBLE. Seriously, if you don't know the lyrics to "Crazy", you shouldn't be on a country music game show. (turns out they have been casting in LA for a country show ... thus the horrible contestants). So I emailed them and told them they needed some contestants who knew the lyrics. And they said "okay, come audition"!


It was a blast. We were in a hotel in Fort Worth, and we had to take a test on a bunch of music lyrics, and fill out some paperwork so they know who is crazy enough to be fun on TV but not crazy enough to be creepy. It took a few hours, but in the end, they kept 5 (ish) people, and I wasn't one of them! Boo! I figure I wouldn't be terribly entertaining on TV, but it was fun to try out!


I actually got a call from them last week saying they wanted to interview me again ... so some time we're going to do a Skype interview I think. We'll see! I have so many braincells used up by remembering lyrics instead of something important!! If I end up on the show, I'd have to fly out to LA ... so ... I'm not really sure if I'd be more excited or more nervous about the trip and what to do with Caleb!


Mr. Caleb's First BDay Party

We invited the fam over, and had a grill out (my dad grilled out burgers, my mom grilled in beans, Rick's fam did 7-layer dip, Hayley made dessert ... yummy!)


It was very chill and a whole lot of fun! Since Caleb hadn't had eggs, sugar, etc before in his life, I made pumpkin bread muffins for him iced with sweet potatoes, while the rest of us sugared ourselves up with white and red velvet cupcakes.

You want me to do what with this cupcake?

Mom, is that you behind the camera? Is this a trick? Are you letting me put my hands in my food?

See that piece falling? Fell right in his lap!! After that though, he tore in!


Hey, pretty good stuff!



Mmmf. I can't fit any more in ...

Caleb got a few little gifts, one of which was a pair of maracas from his great grandmother Georgie. I don't think he let go of them, except when I made him so he could eat, for 4 days.
Blocks and a car!



Now these guys are just silly over each other. "Coach" (as Caleb calls his grandaddy) and Caleb - staring at his grandaddy just waiting to see what they're gonna do together next. He's so funny! He says "COACH!" and giggles when he sees him!





Another special new addition to the family from the birthday is Caleb's Elmo chair ... which will appear frequently from now on since Caleb LOVES it!
Our one year appt and more on the elmo chair to come ...

No comments:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers