Monday, August 10, 2009

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of the Country

I love Peaster, Texas. There are some things about living in the country that are awesome. For one, any day it is possible to get behind a tractor, driving on the HIGHWAY, and no one is upset about it. We all just slow down to 30 mph, admire someone's John Deere, and go our merry way once he exits to his farm.



Second, to get to our house, you have to pass a field of longhorns, some goats (which are frequently out of their pen and all around the road), some llamas, and some roosters. And cows and horses of course. Actually, if the wind is right, our yard smells like horses from the few beautiful chestnuts across the street.



Third, the stars are UNBELIEVABLE at night. Absolutely amazing.



The problem with living in the country, besides having to be organzied enough to only go to the store once a week, is the mice. We have mice. Rick is SO tired of hearing me complain about mice. Seriously though, I keep having face to face encounters (or mice to feet encounters) with mice. I hear them at night (or imagine them really), I see them around the house (again, possibly imagination). Given, they are cute field mice and not rats or anything. They would be precious if I saw them in a field. In my pantry however, they are NOT cute.



I think we've caught like 5 of them in the eight months we've been here. I'm hoping they're almost all gone, because we definitely are catching them less frequently. Our neighbors had exterminators out, so I'm sure all of their mice moved to our house. Apparently, so says everyone out here, this is normal and part of living in the country. I promise, I WILL bring home a cat if these mice don't leave soon.



By the way, our neighbors moved to west Texas, so one of my friends needs to move out to their house and be our new neighbors! Any takers? J? We'll share our mice with you!

2 comments:

Jill said...

I'm not sure if "J" was for me or for your Jessica. But, sorry-charlie. I can't do mice either. AND, how rude of your neighbors to exterminate (sp??). That's exactly what happened, they told all the mice that your house was great and then, here they all come! I think you just need to have a little "come-to-Jesus" meeting with the head mouse and send them all back.

Read my blog when you get a chance. I posted about Abby and Caleb's first date! :)

Jessica said...

Hmmm...I don't do mice....sorry. However, it may be worth it so I can love on Caleb. He is so stinkin' cute!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers