Friday, August 14, 2009

Adventures on I-20

Wednesday morning at 10:00 (1.5 hours past when I hoped to leave), Caleb and I headed down I-20 from Weatherford to Midland. At 11:30 ish, with Caleb sound asleep and Mom enjoying some quiet time ... BOOM ... flat tire.
This is what I-20 looks like where our tire blew out:
Okay, I think that picture is from like Colorado or something. I-20 doesn't have those hills, but we were in a construction zone, next to zero signs or exits, and in the middle of NOWHERE. I had to drive several miles on the tire, then gave up looking for an exit and just pulled over on the shoulder.
If I had a blowout on the shoulder of I-20 by myself, no big deal. Call roadside service and chill out in the car. But at 105 outside, with a 10 month old, 5 feet from speeding 18 wheelers ... not good. I called Rick (Caleb was screaming in the car, hot and scared of the loud trucks flying by), and Rick started to walk me through changing the tire. I'm pretty sure I had a very bad attitude. I had no idea where I was, and no idea how to change a tire, although Rick has tried to teach me.
I don't know how long I was out there, but in my opinion, it was WAY too long! Come on guys! A girl by herself on the highway needs some tire changing help! This is Texas for goodness sake, people are supposed to be friendly!
I was doing okay getting the jack under the car and raised up, but then, I wasn't strong enough to get the lug nuts off. I was jumping on the bar, trying to pry them off - no luck. I was in tears. So I got Caleb out of the car, and was ready to walk down the highway until we found some sort of mile marker so that we could call State Farm and get someone out there. I was thinking, okay Lord, we are stranded, in the HEAT, and I don't know how to take care of this and keep Caleb safe. I don't want to sit here on the highway - I have no where to move off the highway - Please help! Then ... HELP came! Thank you, Lord! A man (Christian man from Granberry Methodist church named Ray, thank you!) stopped to help us out. He said, "Do you need help?" And I think I almost became a blubbering, crying mess. He let us sit in the A/C of his truck while he pulled out his gloves and changed our tire. Rick stayed on the phone with me to be sure we were safe. One spare tire later, we were back on the road.
We had to stop at the next place we found to feed Caleb and plug in my phone, which happened to be "Pizza Heaven", the only place to eat for miles. They have strawberry cheesecake pizza - need I say more? I had some great (cheese) pizza though, and Caleb downed three ounces of apples and a LOT of water, and then we were off again.
Adventures are more fun without a 10 month old, but thanks to Ray and Pizza Heaven (and I am convinced - the Lord taking care of us in both situations), we got to Midland safe and sound!
Let's hope the trip back tomorrow is boring!

No comments:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers