Sunday, October 24, 2010

My Sunday

So ... Sundays are generally crazy days for us. Rick gets up super early to get to the church and get ready for the morning. I get up around 6:30-7 generally, feed Kerith, and usually Caleb is ready to get up after we're done. Change diapers, fix breakfast, get clothes on the 3 of us, and then whatever else I need to do for that particular day at church. We get to church around 9:15, are done around 1:00, and then we have to get Caleb down for a nap quickly, because we leave Peaster at 3:30 ish to get to Fort Worth for a weekly conference we're doing. We get home way past bed time most of the time.

This particular Sunday, today, we left straight from church to go to FW to run some errands. (Caleb napped in the car.) We got to the church where the conference is held (who will remain nameless to protect the innocent ... you'll see why later) about 4:30, and I tried to feed Kerith, but she just wanted to talk.

Side note - this church is huge, and has a GREAT children's program. It's the only place I have ever left both of my children besides our church. Their security system is awesome, their teachers are great, I love it ... usually. Normally. Not today.

Anyway, this anonymous church was doing something really awesome this week, and everybody was encouraged to go out and do outreach today instead of coming to service. So there were only about 50 people in the service (probably visitors or people who forgot about the outreach), and the kids' church was being held in one room instead of 10 rooms with just a few substitute teachers. Did this make me a little nervous? No way, because this church does such a GREAT job of taking care of the kids. Usually. Normally. Not today.

I dropped the kids off, explaining that Kerith would be hungry soon, and that they could call me when she started fussing or sucking her hands, and I would come feed her. About 30 minutes later, they called, so I headed over. Our class was in a building across the street today, because of the whole no church day thing. So it took me a minute to get to Kerith's class.

I walk into her hall and notice she's not fussing, at least not that I can hear. I walk up to the door, and she is sitting in a teacher's lap, with her chubby cheeks happily enveloping AN ANIMAL CRACKER. WHAT?!?!?!?! The Lord took over in me, because instead of freaking out, I just said, "Um here, you can give her to me now, thanks. And those animal crackers are Caleb's, not hers actually." She is 3 months old!!! Who doesn't know not to give solid food to a baby who (a) can't crawl (b) can barely hold her head up (c) has not been okayed by mom to have ANY snacks and (d) HAS NO TEETH!!!

I'm being dramatic. I almost fell over, though. I think I seriously almost fainted. Needless to say, she did not go back to class.

After calling several doctors and my mom, everybody said she'd be okay. She has since spit up most of it, I think. Her tummy was not happy, although she looked happy as a clam gumming that animal cracker! But I think she might be over the worst (I hope). Thank You, Lord for keeping her from choking or having an allergic reaction!

We got home, as is usual on Sunday, about 9:30 and Caleb is exhausted. And has a fever of 101.8. Sigh. I'll be up every 30 minutes checking on one child or the other, but I'm praying the rest of our night is uneventful!

Animal crackers! At three months! Is it wrong that I don't want to leave her with any body ever again?

1 comment:

Anderson Family said...

Your little Caleb and Kerith are so precious!--Jennifer

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers