Wednesday, June 16, 2010

More Hawaii, 31 Weeks, and Other Stuff

Hawaii Continued

I think after being home for 2 weeks, we are finally back on Texas time! I don't know why it took so long! We are glad to be back, but missing the sand and surf!

I couldn't help but take a picture or two of the little crabs that ran all over the beach. We actually saw a huge black crab too, but he was too quick to catch with the camera.





One night while we were there, we got to go to a luau with the family. It was awesome! The food was really good (and there was way too much of it), and each course was inspired by a unique place (Hawaii, Tahiti, New Zealand ...). While we ate the meal from that area, dancers performed authentic dances and customs from that same area.


Snapshots from a few of the dances.













This one was my favorite - it was the New Zealand group. Although they called it something else I think.





Mom and Dad at the luau. Y'all are so cute!







Dad getting into the luau spirit with a lovely flower!


The luau was great fun, and the sunset was beautiful!


In the middle of the island of Maui is a huge mountain. I caught a rainbow around it while we were riding a trolley home from town.




We spent most of our time just enjoying the water, the sand, and exploring cute shops and local spots with the trolley. I don't think I could ever get tired of watching the water. We snorkeled a lot! We actually saw a huge sea turtle while we were snorkeling! And we got within inches of him! But we did NOT touch him - that carries a $5000 fine! Rick saw an eel, lots of sea urchins, and he found some amazing shells deep in the water. I did not get as far from the beach as he did, but I saw some bright pink coral and lots of really interesting fish!










We could see two other islands from our beach - Molokai (this picture) and Lanai.




When we felt like exploring, we took a trolley or walked to Whaler's Village.




Our trolley driver used to be a captain on a crabbing boat - like Deadliest Catch! He retired to Maui to drive the trolley and enjoy the sun - not a bad plan!

Rick and I went out for a nice dinner one night in Whaler's Village and had some great seafood at the Hula Grill. It's a beach front burger joint during the day (sand as the floor and everything), and a fancier restaurant at night.


We made it for lunch to Cheeseburger in Paradise, too ... for an awesome pineapple burger!







The best part of the entire trip was getting to spend some quality time with the love of my life. Love you, Rick!



We even managed to get a few pictures together!

31 Weeks
Well, I've been avoiding it, but it's time for a belly pic I guess. I showed up to Hawaii with not much of a belly, but in that 28th week, it really appeared! I also found 7 pounds on the Hawaiian beaches and brought them home with me. Funny, I don't remember that being on my list of things I wanted as a souvenir.
The reason I look like I'm about to faint is I just put on 50 spf sunscreen. It had the consistency of peanut butter and didn't really rub in ... but it worked! This is the first time I've ever had to get into a maternity swim suit, too.
28 Week Belly Pic
This pregnancy has been so different from Caleb's. I really have very little time to think about it as I take care of Caleb during the day, but at night our little girl is active as can be, and I get to spend some time talking to her and praying for her. My itching has gone away, except a little bit going on yesterday and today, and so far our doctor says we may be able to wait until baby girl is ready and have a normal (non c-section) labor! I hope we can! But I pray the Lord gives us wisdom to know what is safest for the baby and for me. We shall see! Maybe we'll make it to August 20th after all!
Can't wait to meet you little one!

Taking a break from Hawaii and baby blogging to get some Caleb in. But to come - Goofy Foot Surfing and Hawaiian stitches.



Of course, the highlight of coming back to the mainland was seeing Caleb! We got in at 5 am June 10th, and on the bus back to remote parking we saw our good friends the Traxels! We grabbed a quick breakfast (since we had been flying all night) and drove home. We took about a four hour nap, and then we got up and headed to Abilene where Shannon and the kids all met us. We met them at a Subway in the Abilene Wal Mart, and when we walked in, Caleb got a HUGE grin on his face and said, "Daddy! Mama!" He actually dropped his ice cream and ran to Rick, throwing his hands up and asking to get up with Daddy. He only had eyes for Daddy for the first 15 minutes at least! Caleb kept hugging Rick, then patting his shoulder, then looking at him and holding Rick's face, all while saying "Daddy" in the most loving little voice I think I've ever heard! It was precious. Once we got out to the cars, he remembered that I was there and wanted to hug on me some, too!
We brought Shannon's youngest, AJ, back with us to take him to meet his grandparents for "Nana Camp". Here we are running errands once we got back to Weatherford. You can see Caleb's busted lip, which he was actually very proud of. He didn't quit smiling for a couple of days. I know he had a blast at his cousins, but I think he was glad to see us, too.




Caleb reunites with "red combine tractor" in his "ba-bee-ball shorts" after 2 weeks. He looks so big!





Lots of play time with "Wightening McQueen".




He found our suitcases that we had yet to unpack ... including Mama's sunglasses!





Always the organizer! (His concerned look is due to the fact that he can't quite fit the red car in his hand on his tractor!)






My creativity is being stretched. Caleb was SUPER bored after being used to having 5 cousins to play with all day! So ... we made a car out of a box. Well, it was also supposed to help him quit trying to crawl into our suitcases and "drive" them. He was convinced they were cars.





Next idea - playing in the sprinkler!






Next idea ... we're going to try the library. Maybe while I'm there I can find a "how to keep your toddler" entertained book! In 9 weeks or less, Caleb will be welcoming a little sister, and will have to entertain himself for a few weeks, so I'm trying to get some fun packed into the next 2 months!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Love the pics! Any tips on leaving Caleb behind for 10 days? We're about to leave CeCe for 7. Also, check out these websites for activities:

http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.com/index.html

http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/

http://learningdevelopmentactivities.blogspot.com/

Niki said...

Jessica - I'm sending you an email. Thank you for the links!!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers