Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Bath Time, Rice Cereal (Take Two), and the Botanic Garden

I am SOOOOO behind ...



Bath Time


The nurses at the NICU said, "Don't believe people when they say babies need a bath every day. He will only need a bath every third day or so." Okay Moms, how often do you bathe your babies? We're in the "or so" category. If we have a bath every third day, it's a good week for us. (Confessions of a new mom). But I'm working on having more frequent bath times!


Getting ready ... and eating the towel.






At 4.5 months, we used our bath duckie for the first time. Love it! And it quacks.







I only let go to take the picture - Caleb can't sit on his own just yet.






Laid back ... with my mind on my duckie and my duckie on my mind. (Snoop reference just for you, J!)






Whatcha doin', mom?






All done ... and eating the towel.






Rice Cereal, Take Two
Rice Cereal try #1 was pretty much a flop. So I thought, no reason to rush. We'll wait a few weeks and try again. Last week though, Caleb had become VERY interested in everything that Rick and I put in our mouths. He watches us eat with intense focus. And he seemed especially hungry most of the time. So, at technically 5 months 2 weeks, I decided to give rice cereal another try. It was a whole new ball game this time. Did he like it? You can tell me what you think ...





Since then, he's a huge fan. This week we eat it twice a day (just one teaspoon, mixed with about three teaspoons of breast milk.)

The Botanic Gardens
I have another confession. Actually, an apology. Many times I have watched moms with their 4-8 month olds out in public - zoos, Sea World, whatever. The child is always hot, tired, and cranky, and I've thought, "Why? Why do people bring their small children to places like this? The child is totaaly disinterested, too young to enjoy this, and I don't understand why they bother." Well, now I understand. The moms take the kids out, because the MOMs need to get out. It's not for the kids. Better a tired cranky kid at a zoo than a tired, cranky mom and kid at home.
Last Tuesday I woke up and realized we needed to get out of the house - fast. So we went to the Botanic Garden in Fort Worth. It's close, it's beautiful, and it's free! It was a GORGEOUS day, and I desperately needed to get out. Whether or not Caleb was going to benefit at all, it was good for my sanity for sure. So, I apologize to all the Moms that I questioned for so many years - I had no idea.
So Indiana Jones and I (and Mr. Turtle, who was thorougly looking forward to visiting his cousins) packed up and headed to Fort Worth.
It was spring break and St. Patrick's Day, so it was packed! And it was absolutely beautiful. I spent most of my time trying to be sure the sun wasn't on Mr. Caleb, but it was still worth it!
Caleb spent most of his time asleep.

Caleb, look at the beautiful flowers!
Oh, you're still napping.
Caleb, look! A squirrel!
ZZZZZZ zzzzzz ZZZZZ ...
I saw this sign, "Trial Garden". Whatever they were trying obviously didn't work. Look at all the dead plants!
This is one of my favorite parts of the gardens. It's a long path through some gorgeous trees.
Caleb! Look at the ... never mind.
The rose gardens weren't in bloom, but they were still beautiful and peaceful.
Speaking of peaceful. You may think I'm using the same pictures over and over, but I'm not. He was still sleeping.
We went and sat under some wisteria - wysteria - however you spell it. It smelled SO good!
Caleb finally woke up ... with a little help from mom, who couldn't stand it any longer. He was thrilled to be there ...


He did finally perk up when he saw all the people and a little boy on roller skate shoes.
Other Stuff
Other than that, we've been pretty busy with just life in general. Two Saturdays ago, Caleb, you learned to blow bubbles. And you are MOST impressed with yourself. Here you are after blowing some at me. I tried to capture you in action, but couldn't do it. (and the drool doesn't show up on the camera)



You are pretty good at rolling from your tummy to your back, you've done it several times, and I think you can do it whenever you want. You haven't rolled from back to tummy yet, but you've gotten so close that I'm surprised you haven't done it on accident!



You LOVE to talk. You babble constantly. Your favorite "talking" times seem to be when you've got a full tummy and are in my arms, and you can look up at me and talk to me, or when you're sitting on your daddy's chest with your hands in his beard and on his face.
We painted the back room dark brown just for fun ... see? The next project is the guest bathroom I think.




And we've started reading. I read the books, you eat the books. Just kidding. You actually really like to sit in my lap and feel the book and look at the bright pictures. You also really like to listen to music and sit in my lap and "play" the piano. Some day I'll teach you chopsticks.





Love you, Buster!


2 comments:

Kim McGee said...

We are a little on the lax side of the bath thing at our house: two a week (before we go to Bible study and Church when someone else will be watching my kids!). It's partly due to water aggravating Sam's eczema but also because I am lazy! They love baths so sometimes we throw in an extra one.

Is Caleb up for the Ft. Worth Zoo in a couple of months? I would love to have a playdate there!

Jessica said...

Thanks for the shout out. I was laughing so hard at your commentary about Caleb sleeping at the gardens. So funny!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers