Wednesday, December 7, 2011

All I Want for Christmas is a New Heart

I love Christmas time for many reasons, but one big reason is that it seems to make us step back and evaluate how blessed we are the rest of the year. Although I probably won't have the latest pink running watch with a heart monitor under the tree ... (nor would I have the time to use it if it DID appear under the tree :) ... I will have family and friends around, an awesome worship service to go to, a roof over my head, and some yummy food in my tummy. And that's just the beginning of the happiness I will be surrounded by. It is impossible not to see the blessings the Lord has generously downpoured upon us this year.



Some people however, are spending the holidays in much more trying circumstances. Some people, like the Wise family, are spending Christmas planning for major surgeries to cure life threatening conditions. Chris has a heart condition that gives him crippling migraines, racing heart episodes, and causes his heart to work at about 60% efficiency. It's life threatening, eventually. So ... the Wises are planning for necessary surgery in February. Cristy homeschools their four children, and Chris is their only income. They have $150,000 to raise before February, besides working out how to live with no income while he recovers. As if watching your husband and daddy go through heart surgery isn't hard and scary enough! But they believe that God will provide, and I believe they are right.




The Wise family is handling the difficulty with strength in the Lord, even in the shaky moments when fear creeps in and they worry for the safety of Chris. Please pray for them this Christmas. I really believe that it is possible for all of us to work together to help the Wises with their surgery expenses. I think this is part of what the church (universal, not just local) was meant to do - to take care of each other as each one has need.




Chris serves faithfully as an elder at Cross Timbers Bible, and Cristy has served as Nursery Coordinator and a Sunday School teacher for many, many years. I'm asking that if any of you choose charities, or adopt families, or somehow give out of your abundance (or lack thereof!) at Christmas time, would you consider giving to the heart surgery fund for the Wise family? Or if giving is new to you, would you think about blessing a family you might not even know, but one that needs our help? I'm not sure there is a heart that is more worth saving than the humble, God-honoring, faithful heart of Chris Wise.



Pray specifically with me for the four Wise children: Cora, Caylah, Canton, and Coalson. They're precious, and probably scared. But Chris and Christy are setting a great example of facing life's challenges with faith. They believe that God is in control. And that even when life stinks for us, humanly speaking, God's plans are for His glory and are worth enduring the bad times in between the great times.

If you're interested in donating, any amount at all, the church address is:
Cross Timbers Bible Church
6505 FM 920
Weatherford, Texas 76088

Checks can be sent to the church (with Chris Wise as the memo), or to us, or my Facebook page has a link to donate via paypal (and it's SUPER easy).

May you spend tomorrow contemplating and celebrating the greatest gift ever given - the ability to know our need for a savior from our sins and God's unbelievable gift of His perfect Son as our Savior and Rescuer. God is Good, and we are blessed. Merry Christmas to all!

No comments:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers