Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Wreck, a Rental Car, and the Rest of April 2010

Yes, this is a different wreck than the one we previously had. It's not me, I swear! This one wasn't my fault either, and I wasn't even driving!



Caleb and I went to Midland for a week while Rick was in Kentucky at a conference, and we had a blast. It's like a major vacation for me - I get to hang out with the fam, Mom changes diapers and cooks wonderful food, Hayley chases Caleb around and I get to sit ... and we get to have girl time running around town and getting yogurt and stuff. Then we get to hang out at night with Dad and just relax. It's awesome! Unfortunately, while running around town and going to a museum, we got rear-ended. This time we were the third car in line to get hit, so it wasn't nearly as bad as last time. I may be permanently afraid of cars. If only I could walk everywhere we need to go.



The major project going on here is trying to get the house in order. I finished teaching physics for the summer yesterday, so I'll only have a few math students over the summer. It will be a nice break. We have managed (I think) to get Caleb over the fear of the bath tub.


This is Caleb telling me that red car is taking a bath.







We played in the duckie and said goodbye to our duckie bath. Caleb LOVES the duckie, but his legs barely fit. It's getting hard to soap him off!






So I looked online for ideas about overcoming big bath tub fear. (Every time I say "big bath" to Caleb I think of Jill saying "big church".) One idea was for Caleb to see daddy "playing" in the bath and having a good time. Since Caleb wouldn't go down the slide until Daddy was there, that suugestion made sense to me. That and the first thing I was going to try, bath tub crayons, was WAY too expensive for an experiment! So we put Rick, bubbles, and a multitude of toys in the bath, and it worked! It took awhile ... Caleb had to ease into the idea and stood up most of the time, but last night he took a bath in the big bath all by himself. Whew!


Second crisis averted - the Cheerio. Monday morning, Caleb kept saying, "Get cheerio? Get cheerio?" He sounded upset so I went to check it out ... he was pointing up his nose. Sure enough, he stuck a Cheerio so far up his nose, we had to go to the pediatrician to get it removed. There are three things I cannot seem to teach Caleb. (1) Don't eat rocks (2) The difference between horses and cows (3) Don't put things up your nose! The cheerio came out in a sneeze and a cough/swallow while we were at the doctor, so Caleb's nose is now Cheerio free.


I have been switching furniture and rearranging Caleb's room, and he has been "helping".





He put on his hat backwards, like he was ready to work, and then basically took things out of the drawers as fast as I could put them in!





This face looks like he knows he is not helping!






Those may be the last pictures we see of Caleb's face for awhile. We found a car garage at Kid to Kid (for $5! love it!), and I can't get him away from it for anything! (PS, I am SO excited Weatherford now has a Kid to Kid!!!!) I'm having to force him to stop playing with this just to come eat. Here's the best I could do at getting a face picture:







Caleb calls this "makin' a train". Sometimes the cars line up in a train before they take turns going down the "blue slide".




He sends cars down the blue slide and then yells "GO GET IT!" and runs off to get whichever car just sped away.






He also says "Wheeeeee!" as the cars go down. He keeps trying to get on the slide himself ... so we have to watch out for that. If he broke it, I think we would have to search the metroplex for another one.






Caleb and his friends, sitting on a "pidow".





Feeding kids spaghetti always seems like a good idea before hand ...

Cheese!










With no ketchup on hand, he dipped grapes in the "meat", which is spaghetti sauce.




Off to church!








I came in the bathroom the other day and was told that "cars going potty". He feeds and bathes them, I guess it makes sense that they would need to use the restroom.









There is April in a nutshell! I wish I were doing a better job of blogging right now, but maybe in the next few months.


Caleb, I can't believe you are a year and a half old. Your favorite things right now are the park (with slides and skateboarders to watch), Sesame Street, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, "jumping" (which is really you squatting like a frog and then standing and going up on your toes), giving us things and saying "Thank you red car mama" - which means you are giving the red car to mama, graham crackers, french fries (which you rarely get), and singing. I heard you sing "Amazing Grace" the other day, and I think it was the sweetest thing I've ever heard. But I admit, I'm tired of singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" at night - can you request something other than "the rainbow song"?


Your new favorite game is hiding something, like your blue car, and then saying, "Where did blue car go?" (I feel like I blogged this already, but since I'm so scatter brained, I'm going to blog it again in case I haven't yet.) You then get a really suspicious smile and carry on a conversation with yourself. It goes something like this:
Where did blue car go?
I don't know!
Is it in shirt? Nope!
Is it in legs? Nope!
Is it in sock? Nope!
There it is!!!
Usually, it's under your legs, even though you say "nope" when you ask yourself if it's there.
Last night you shoved another Cheerio up your nose. You have GOT to stop that! You also are starting to throw fits! We had some friends over last night, and I made snickerdoodles, and you screamed when I would only give you one! Oh my! We went to your room and talked about it, and came back out saying, "No more cookies." All night you kept repeating, "No more cookies." You crack me up. But fits ... I don't know how to deal with those yet. I guess I'm going to really have to start parenting now? Where are my instructions???
You are still an absolute delight, and we love you very much. Your new squeeze hugs are awesome! Painful sometimes when you pinch on accident, but still wonderful! I think you would sleep in your boots if I let you, and probably you would sleep outside if we let you. You can't seem to get enough of being outside. You LOVE rocks. You love to EAT rocks. Another mystery to me.
At your 18 month appointment, you were 34" tall (90%), 28.5 lbs (75%), and your head was 50%. You are growing so fast! You have no idea that you're going to have a baby sibling in a few months, but I think you're going to be a great big brother.
Speaking of, I'm having nightmares about having two kids and being completely unable to deal with it. The other day in the church nursery, I had Caleb and a baby to watch ... and it was hard. I'm excited ... but I'm still not sure how to juggle two kiddos. My friends keep telling me the transition to two is big, then after that, it's no big deal to add more kids! That makes me laugh!
Last but not least, the baby is doing well. Kicking up a storm! We're 24 weeks this week. Unfortunately, I've got a little bit of itching going on. Pray with me please, anyone who is reading, that it's not anything liver related and it's just some silly itching. Can't believe we're over half way to meeting our little one! Next post - about the little one!

2 comments:

Matt McGee said...

Where are the pictures of Rick in the bathtub playing with the toys?

Niki said...

LOL!!! If he would have let me take some & post them, I would. It was definitely one of my favorite Daddy moments!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers