1. The way Kerith picks up on things that aren't obvious. God has made her very intuitive, and sensitive to what's going on around her. Any time I start looking around for my keys, or if I say, "Alright ..." as I'm planning to go out the door, she senses the difference in my voice or notices what I'm doing and says "GO!" I love it! (she also says "go" to cars, "ready, set ...", and her brother riding his rocket ship toy). She can absolutely tell if Caleb's cry is real or fake, and if it's real, she heads for him as fast as she can. Somehow she can tell when it's time for Rick to come home, because she clearly starts talking about Daddy. I haven't figured that one out yet!
2. The way Caleb keeps a happy, content disposition in almost every situation. After a blood test and a catheter, Caleb's response in between cries was, "That wasn't very fun!" When he doesn't get his way, he often says, "Could you please not say that to me?" I'm not saying he doesn't have his two year old moments like any kiddo, but especially for a two year old, he is so patient and happy. He's had fever and a dreadful cough for over a week, but as soon as he feels good enough to get off that couch, he's driving cars and singing and telling me how much he appreciates the "delicious and healthy meals" that I cook. Precious, precious boy.
When I couldn't get his first medicine filled the night we got it, because there are no 24 hour pharmacies out here, I told him we would get it the next morning. He said, "It's okay Mommy. It's okay to let me cough for today." I nearly broke into the pharmacy and got the medicine myself. Today at the doctor, he calmly asked if we were going to have to do anything not fun today at the doctor! Thankfully, I could say no! Then he told the doctor to "have a nice week"!
3. The way Kerith pretends she doesn't understand something, and then surprises us with understanding far beyond what we thought was possible! When I ask her what the monkey says, she usually looks me straight in the eye and says moo or quack. But tonight, I said, "Okay baby girl! Here are your monkey pajamas!" And she said, "Ooh ooh, aah aah!" just as clear as day. It sounds crazy, but she does it ALL the time!
She suddenly started pointing to things on my face and listing them: Eye, Ear, Hair ("haiw"), Mouth ("mauw"). When did she learn those things? She pointed to Colorado pictures (blog to come) and named Nana, Pa Pa, Granna, and Coach, like it was no big deal! She doesn't like to show off what she's learning, while she's learning it. She just wants to throw it at us for surprise. I caught her reading a book in her room the other day and quacking at the duck. Sure enough, she stopped as soon as she saw me!
4. Caleb's memory. He licked the WalMart cart the other day. You can take a reading break while you run to the bathroom and throw up, I'll wait. ... Okay, so yes, he licked the cart. Of course, I said, "CALEB! That's how you get sick!" So now ... he's sick. And as we left Urgent Care, we passed a girl coughing. This is a week after the cart incident, mind you. So Caleb said, nonchalantly, "That girl is sick. She must have done it, too." And I had no idea what he was talking about, so I said, "She must have done what, too?" And Caleb answered, "Licked the Wal Mart cart." Now I'm having to do damage control so he doesn't feel quite so responsible for his sickness. But how did he remember that?
He repeatedly tells stories from months, and sometimes even years ago. I got out my piano the other day for the first time in at least a year. I've never had it out since Kerith was born. Caleb asked me to play a song that the piano plays on its own - and it's the only place he's ever heard it, at least a year ago. It's called "The Last Rose", and he asked to play "The Last Roads" song. How does he remember that? I had no idea what he was talking about, again, so I scrolled through the songs and pushed play on that one, and he immediately heard it and said, "Yes! That's it!" He knows classical music by the name of the little Einsteins episode that plays it, and he can hear any part of the song and name it. His memory is incredible. It's why I can't promise we'll "go to the park tomorrow" unless I'm SURE we can go to the park tomorrow.
Goodness gracious, I love these kids. Thank you, Lord, for precious children, and for the way we love them unconditionally as Mommies, no matter what. :)
Tuesday, September 20, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
And yes, I know I'm biased, and I'm totally cool with that!
Post a Comment